The aim of the INTER-IoT project is to design, implement and test an open framework and an associated methodology to enable the interoperability of heterogeneous Internet of Things (IoT) platforms at different levels. The system facilitates an effective and efficient development of adaptable and intelligent IoT applications and services on different heterogeneous IoT platforms across single and/or multiple application domains. The project and the associated approach have been designed with a focus on different environments. Consequently, they will be implemented and tested in three realistic large-scale pilot projects:
- Transport and logistics in the Port of Valencia with heterogeneous platforms.
- An Italian National Health Centre for mobile health services, equipped with body sensor networks, portable sensors and smart mobile devices.
INTER-IoT provides all the necessary components to achieve interoperability, including a framework, a methodology, toolboxes, and associated APIs. This ensures interoperability as the different products and architectures in the market evolve. The benefits of INTER-IoT are as follows:
- At the device level, the fluid inclusions of new IoT devices and their interoperability with existing devices, including heterogeneous ones. This enables rapid growth of ecosystems of smart things.
- At the network level, ongoing support for the mobility of smart things and the routing of information. This facilitates the design and implementation of fully connected ecosystems.
- At the middleware level, an integrated detection and service management system for smart things and their core services. This facilitates the global use of smart things in large (or extreme) scale (multiplatform) IoT systems.
- At the application services level, reuse and exchange of heterogeneous services between different IoT platforms.
- At the data and semantic level, the shared interpretation of data and information based on a shared global ontology to achieve semantic interoperability.
- At the integrated IoT platform level, a rapid prototyping of IoT applications across multiple platforms.
- At the business level, faster implementation of IoT to technology and applications across multiple application domains.