When analysing the activity of different intermodal platforms, it can be seen how access and entry points often constitute a bottleneck affecting the efficiency of the operation. The search for solutions to this problem is of vital importance since it affects not only the efficiency of the intermodal terminal, but the entire logistics chain, making it less competitive.
Fundación Valenciaport’s main objective in this project was to design and test a conceptual model integrating the different actors involved in the modal interchange process. It was based on a standardized system for the real-time exchange of information that serves as a regulatory and monitoring instrument in the accesses to the modal interchange nodes.
The project involved the following stages:
- Description of the basic processes of a modal interchange node or logistics platform (LP) and identification of the main actors involved
- Analysis of information flows and information exchange needs at intermodal nodes and LP.
- Identification of key information for the regulation, management and monitoring of access to modal interchange nodes and LP.
- Analysis of the current situation of modal interchange nodes in terms of ICT use.
- Analysis of alternative options for standardizing messages for the exchange of information between the different actors involved.
- Design of a conceptual model for a standardized information exchange and tracking system (for documents and the main events relating to UTIs)
- Application to a pilot case: Dry Port in Coslada
The development of the project enabled the creation of a reference model for the implementation of an integrated system for the real-time exchange of information in modal interchange nodes and logistics platforms, in order to assist in the regulation and monitoring of access points, enabling greater agility in modal interchange operations and greater efficiencies in the logistics chains.
The model developed has served as a reference for improving and developing services in the Port Community System of the Port of Valencia (valenciaportPCS), which facilitate the regulation and monitoring of access points in port terminals as well as inland intermodal terminals.