The CAPACITY4RAIL project brought together a large part of the European railway industry (46 project partners from 13 different countries in Europe and Turkey, including railway infrastructure managers, railway undertakings, terminal operators, engineering companies, equipment manufacturers, universities, research centres etc). The aim was to define future scenarios as well as the technologies and systems that need to be developed, taking into account the infrastructure, operations management and transhipment operations.
The results of the project reflect the vision for the railway industry in Europe in 2050 and the changes needed to increase capacity, availability and performance, taking into account:
- The design of the infrastructure.
- Construction and maintenance.
- Operations management.
- Incident management with real-time information.
- Freight operations, with a particular focus on transhipment.
Fundación Valenciaport’s participation in this project entailed the following:
- Providing the Valenciaport port-logistics cluster a vision of the future characteristics (horizon 2050) of rail freight transport, as defined by the railway industry.
- Anticipation of future maritime-rail infrastructure and superstructure needs to meet the demands of the railway industry in 2050.
- Ensuring examples of port-rail terminals and/or inland railway terminals of the Valenciaport cluster were included in the models and indicator systems developed in the project for analysing intermodal terminals and the conceptual design of future intermodal terminals (2050).
- Bringing companies and entities of the Valenciaport cluster into contact with the leading actors of the European railway industry.